Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Grimm Legacy

The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman
Putnam Juvenile - July 8, 2010
325 pages

After writing a paper about the Brothers Grimm for her social studies teacher, Elizabeth is offered a job at the New York Circulating Materials Repository, which is sort of like a library for objects. Inside the repository there is a section known as the Grimm Collection, which is home to objects straight from the fairy tales. The magical objects soon begin to disappear, and so Elizabeth and her newfound friends must go on a quest to find the thief before they become the accused.

Let me begin with the obvious; yes, there is romance in this between the characters. The author intended it to be a twist with which characters ended up with the others, but I saw it a million miles away. In fact, as soon as the main four characters were introduced I knew what was going to happen in terms of love. I had a major issue with Shulman telling as opposed to showing things such as magic and the characters. The ending was thoroughly anticlimactic, and the romance that I was referring to earlier takes up the majority of the last two chapters for no other reason than to go deeper into a relationship that I simply did not care about. The protagonist's voice was that of a whiny teenage girl. She refuses to believe that she's in love because it's not with the guy she expected, and she says that dreams she has where she's with this boy are "nightmares". With a stronger, more independent protagonist at the reins and less "mystery" about the romance, The Grimm Legacy could have been good.

Grade: C

5 comments:

  1. I thought this book was great. I enjoyed the romance, but I did also see it coming with her and Aaron. I thought she was whiny in a few parts, but not the whole book. I would have given this book an A. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You couldn't have said spoiler alert for the romance part? Ah, well, if anybody else is like us, they will have realized it anyway.

      Delete
  2. You could tell in the beginner, I read spoliers and still read the book and I don' t mind. Also in your review you knew love was going to happen kinda a spoiler alert!

    ReplyDelete